BUZZ AROUND TOWN
DALAI LAMA COMES TO HONOLULU
- Aloha Joe one of the most famous icons in the world has made his way to Hawaii and the entire town is buzzing!
- Not only is the Dalai Lama set to speak at numerous locations around Honolulu but also the star-studded entertainment centered on his arrival has got everyone excited!
- Details about the programs featuring the Dalai Lama at the Stan Sheriff Center at the University of Hawaii-Manoa lower campus have been released this week. Two public talks by Tenzin Gyatso, “His Holiness” the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet, will be given Saturday and Sunday, April 14 and 15.
- The Dalai Lama’s first talk, “Educating the Heart” and intended for high school and college students, will begin at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, April 14. The second, intended for the general public and titled “Advancing Peace Through the Power of Aloha,” will be at 1:45 p.m. Sunday, April 15.
- For both events, doors will open at 11 a.m. All-star entertainment will be provided before the Dalai Lama’s talks. For the student talk, the lineup is the dance crew Black Canvas Blank Canvas; the singing Ehunuikaimalino Teens Jacob Kaumualii Kailiwai-Ching, Hero Wooching and Kameron Kalamaku Freitas; Taimane Gardner, hip-hop dance crew Hypersquad, Anuhea Jenkins, Jack Johnson, and via video, Jake Shimabukuro and the students of Lana‘i High and Elementary School.
- For the public talk, Shimabukuro’s video will be shown again, with the live lineup including Halau Hula Olana, Amy Hanaiali‘i, Willie K, Henry Kapono, Michael McDonald, Jeff Peterson, and Jerry Santos.
- Tickets for the events — $10 (upper level) for the student talk and $30-$90 for the public talk — can be purchased online at www.pillarsofpeacehawaii.org or through the UH’s Stan Sheriff Center box office (call 808-944-2697).
- WOW! Hawaii is definitely becoming one of the influential epicenters of the world. Hurry and see for yourself these amazing islands called paradise!
13TH ANNUAL MDA SPRING SOIREE PARTY
- Aloha Joe it’s spring and you know what that means! New seasonal delicacies for everyone to enjoy! And to help ring in this tasty season is time for the MDA annual Spring Soiree!
- This Saturday, April 7, 2012 the Muscular Dystrophy Association will be holding its annual Spring Soiree, presented by KUOKOA.
- This sophisticated tasting event takes place under the stars on the Ocean Lawn of The Royal Hawaiian Luxury Resort and will feature culinary delights from 15 of Hawaii’s top food and beverage providers.
- In addition, guests will enjoy live music by Mojo, unique silent and live auctions, a neighbor island door prize get-away, and much more.
- The oceanfront view of this luxury resort sets the ambiance for a memorable gathering with all proceeds benefiting the Hawaii chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- Participating Restaurants include: Azure Restaurant , BluWater Grill Da Kitchen , Da Spot , Mac 24-7 Marians Catering, Ocean House, Pepsi Bottling Group, P.F. Change’s Hawaii, Ryan’s Grill and Tropilicious Ice Cream & Sorbet.
- For more information on tickets contact email@example.com. Sounds like a fabulous night for a wonderful cause!
- Sounds like a wonderful time for families, visitors and locals alike. Hurry and book your ticket to Hawaii today and experience the biggest little town party ever!
MAUKA TO MAKAI CLEAN WATER EXPO
- Aloha Joe as you know April is Earth month and living in one of the most beautiful places in the world it becomes very important to care for and protect the aina (land) and have some good ol’ family fun while doing it!
- So in recognition of Earth Month, the City’s Department of Environmental Services (ENV) is co-sponsoring with the State Department of Health the Mauka to Makai Clean Water Expo featuring numerous ocean-oriented activities Saturday, April 14 beginning at 9am!
- Live entertainment featuring Willie K and Kapono with a special appearance by Wyland who will be giving out autographed posters (while supplies last) to those who sign up for the Wyland Clean Water Challenge at the Department of Land and Natural Resources/Division of Forestry booth will be the highlight of the day.
- The Expo is free and runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Waikiki Aquarium. Parking is available at the Waikiki Elementary School with free shuttle service to the aquarium. The first 500 families who collect 15 stamps in their passports receive a free native plant and a Green Infrastructure for Homeowners booklet.
- Attendees will have a chance to win prizes, including family passes to both the Waikiki Aquarium and Bishop Museum!
- Be sure to plan for a summer in Paradise and get in on the world’s only Pan Pacific Festival! You won’t regret it!
Hawaii Ocean Expo
- One of the most wonderful things about paradise is of course the beauty of our oceans and in Hawaii it is one of our most treasured playgrounds!
- That’s why on Saturday, April 21 from 9 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, April 22 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. at the Neal S. Blaisdell Exhibition Hall its all about us ocean-lovers at the Fourth Annual Hawaii Ocean Expo extravaganza!
- Presented by Vertical Junkies and HPELive the 2012 Hawaii Ocean Expo is a family-friendly expo that will appeal to anyone who loves the ocean, with activities, vendors and educational opportunities.
- Highlights include a boat show, the GT Master’s Cup shoreline fishing tournament, an Ocean University, keiki fun zone, Surfers’ Closet, the Izuo Brothers Tackle Box fishing product showcase, and seafood preparation demonstrations and events, including the popular Poke Contest!
- General admission is $7 children 6-12 are $3 and children 5 and under are free. For more information on the expo, visit www.hawaiioceanexpo.com.
- Be sure to experience the beautiful cool ocean waters of paradise yourself this summer! You won’t regret it!
MUSIC, CONCERTS, ETC.
JASON MRAZ IN CONCERT
- Aloha Joe it seems like every week I have more news about another great band or musician coming to Hawaii. And this week is no exception!
- Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter recording artist Jason Mraz announced plans for a tour of Asia, celebrating the upcoming release of his hugely anticipated new album, “LOVE IS A FOUR LETTER WORD.”
- This includes a performance in, you guessed it, Honolulu, HI on July 1st, at the famous Waikiki Shell, Honolulu’s premiere outdoor venue.
- Tickets for the oahu show go sale Saturday April 14 at 9am and are available at: www.ticketmaster.com
- WHAT A GREAT SPRING IT IS GOING TO BE!
- Don’t miss out on any of these world-renowned acts performing in the unforgettable paradise of the Pacific! Book your ticket to Hawaii today!