BUZZ AROUND TOWN
HAWAII THEATRE CELEBRATES 90th ANNIVERSARY
- Aloha Joe can you believe its September? Time sure flies when you are having fun!
- Next weekend the historical Hawaii Theatre will mark its 90th anniversary with a free concert and a family festival!
- The concert will be held during the regular First Friday art walk on Sept. 7. Starting at 7 p.m., with ukulele superstar Jake Shimabukuro as the first person to ever perform atop the Hawaii Theater’s marquee on Bethel Street, in promotion of the release of his “Grand Ukulele” album on Oct. 2 and his concert at Hawaii Theatre on Nov. 24.
- Doors will then open at 7:30 p.m. as the Mountain Apple Company, in conjunction with ‘Aumakua Records and Bran Apeles, present a free showcase of local alternative musical acts that appeared on the “Alternative HI” compilation. The concert will feature Na Hoku award-nominees Sing the Body, Sabrina, The Intire Project and Johnny Helm, as well as Erika Elona, Kelli Heath Cruz, Mike Love and Mano Kane.
- In addition, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 9, there will be a free family festival both inside and outside the theater, as well as the adjacent Dr. Sun Yat-sen Memorial Park.
- Outdoors, there will be food vendors, lion dancing, storytelling with Jeff Gere and Bill Sage, sword-fighting demonstrations by master fight choreographer Tony Pisculli, musical entertainment by Ed Chevy, plus balloon animals, temporary tattoos, a passport game and prizes for the kids.
- Inside the Hawaii Theatre will be performances by theater organist Don Conover, the Diamond Head Theatre Shooting Stars, youth group EMKE, YoYoFactory808 and keiki from Joan Lindsey Hula Studios. Animated shorts will be shown between acts, and “Puss in Boots” will be screened at 2:30 p.m.
- For more information about “Hawaii NINE-0,” visit www.hawaiitheatre.com.!
- WOW! Sounds like another great weekend ahead in Honolulu!
UH WARRIOR FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON
- Aloha Joe, its that time of the year again!
- On September 15, 2012 everyone is invited to come out and wear their greens to support the University of Hawaii Football Warriors as they play against the Lamar Cardinals, 6 p.m. at the Aloha Stadium!
- College football season is a favorite time of year for everyone in paradise! The stadium is packed for every home game as fans support the only game in town and cheer for our UH Warriors!
- Football season in Hawaii sounds awesome! Hurry and book your tickets this college football season to watch the Warriors play in paradise! You won’t regret it.
40TH ANNUAL HONOLULU MARATHON
- Aloha Joe we are three months out and it is time to let all your listeners know that if they want to take part in the greatest marathon in the world now is the time to start planning!
- The world famous Honolulu Marathon will celebrate its 40th anniversary on December 9!
- At 26 miles, 385 yards or 42.195 kilometers – The Honolulu Marathon’s scenic course includes spectacular ocean views alongside world-famous Waikiki Beach, and Diamond Head and Koko Head volcanic craters.
- The terrain is level except for short uphill grades around Diamond Head. At the starting line is Ala Moana Beach Park where the Honolulu Marathon starts on Ala Moana Blvd, 5 a.m. finishing in Waikiki.
- Thousands from around the world fly in to participate. From world-class runners to new beginners the Marathon is a beautiful exhibition of health and vitality.
- For more information on how you can sign up visit www.honolulumarathon.org.
- WOW sounds like an amazing race in an amazing place! Plan now to spend a winter season in paradise running the Honolulu Marathon today!
FOOD, DINNING ETC.
- Aloha Joe there is a new food sensation taking over the island that I have to tell you all about!
- Chef Paul Park of Paul’s Poppers has invented a “won” of a kind delicacy that is having everyone saying YUM!
- The delectable poppers are a hybrid of a wonton and gau gee with interesting and unique fillings. Park currently makes 14 different types of poppers.
- Some have been calling it a bite size of happiness. Others claim that they’ve become popper addicts. All we know is that people love the these tasty “won” of a kind wontons. Each one of these delicious hand-folded fried morsels burst with unique flavors that represent Hawaii’s diverse culinary background. Part wonton, part crispy fried gau gee, Paul’s Poppers promises to be the next biggest thing at everyone’s family celebration or office party!
- Popper Flavors are:
- The Original: Pork, Jalapeno and Cheddar
- The Turkey Original: Turkey, Jalapeno and Cheddar
- Turkey Mild: Turkey and Cheddar
- Pepperoni Pizza: Pepperoni, Mozzarella, Tomato Sauce and Italian Seasonings
- Cheeseburger: Hamburger and Cheddar
- Spinach and Artichoke: Spinach, Artichoke, Parmesan and Mozzarella
- Caprese: Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella
- Sounds delicious! I will be sure to check out some poppers when I head back into Hawaii!
DIAMOND HEAD BEACH HOTEL TRIP ADVISOR AWARD
- Aloha Joe your favorite hotel has been awarded!
- TripAdvisor is proud to congratulate Diamond Head Beach Hotel on earning the prestigious 2012 Certificate of Excellence award.
- Trip Advisor travelers consistently commend our property with the highest praise!
- Only the very best in the business are awarded a Certificate of Excellence from trip Advisor! And at Diamond Head Beach Hotel we offer nothing but the very best for our guests!