December 9, 2011
- Happy Aloha Thursday Aloha Joe! This is our 30th broadcast from Oahu and as always the sun is shinning and it looks like another beautiful day in paradise.
- We have a lot of exciting activities for everyone as we get nearer to Christmas!
- It’s going to be a wonderful holiday season in Hawaii. Let’s get started on the weather…
- We are definitely getting cooler and as we head more into the winter month.
- Temperatures are in the low 80’s during the day and dropping to high 60’s at night.
- Winds are light in the 8mph range from the south.
- We are enjoying partly cloudy skies with a few scattered showers here and there.
- Big surf is rolling in with 18-22 feet on the North Shore. Professional surfers are ripping it up and contests are going off for the Triple Crown of Surfing Surf Competition.
- West shores are in the 4-8 ft range with South shores coming in at 1-3 ft and the East Shores getting some of that North swell wrap around in the 6-8 ft range.
- Well I don’t know about you Aloha Joe but if you are anything like me then you have been eating your way through the holiday season.
- Thankfully the gorgeous weather in Hawaii offers year round sporting events that receive national and international acclaim to help us work off some of that good eating.
- This Sunday on December 12th, the Honolulu Marathon, Oahu’s world famous event will be going off at 5a.m.
- Racers will meet on Ala Moana Blvd across from the famous Ala Moana surf break and finish at Kapiolani Park in Waikiki.
- The Marathon brings thousands of visitors from around the world to participate in this exciting event.
- You can still register for the race online at www.honolulumarathon.com with a fee of $70.
- There will be a Race Day concert at Queen Kapiolani Bandstand at noon that is free and fun for the whole family!
- It is definitely one of the premiere sporting events that Oahu features and a once in a lifetime opportunity to participate in.
TRIPLE CROWN OF SURFIN/ONEILL WORLD CUP AT SUNSET BEACH
- Congratulations to Brazil’s Raoni Monteiro who took home the O’Neill World Cup title at Sunset Beach as well as $20,000 in cash last week.
- The O’Neill World Cup is the second contest series in the three surfing contests of the Triple Crown of Surfing event that happens every winter season on the North Shore.
- Monteiro is the first South American male in 20 years to win the O’Neill World Cup of Surfing at Sunset Beach.
- Now we are on to the final and most prestigious of the three contests, The Billabong Pipe Masters at the world famous Bonzai Pipeline.
- We will be sure to keep you up to date on the results as well as all the happening after parties with the pro surfers from around the world.
- In fact, one such party happened this past Friday at aloha Friday!
- Hurley hosted their second annual Anti-canvas Event at Soho in Downtown Honolulu from 5-9pm on Friday night.
- Local artists featured their own artwork on Hurley one of a kind board shorts that were offered to charity as silent auction items.
- It was free to the public and drink specials went on all night long.
- Professional surfers like Rob Macahdo and Fred Petacchia showed up to support the cause.
- It was a wonderful event for the surfing community and the local art community.
- Whenever art and the community are able to come together for a better cause everyone benefits.
PEPPER LIVE IN CONCERT
- Music is also another way people in Hawaii love to express themselves and in Hawaii we love our local performers.
- Tomorrow night local reggae sensation, Pepper, will be in concert at one of the most gorgeous outdoor venues on Oahu, the Waterfront at Aloha Tower.
- Pepper, originally from Kona on the Big Island has received national notoriety as one of the leading reggae bands to come out of Hawaii,
- After selling over half a million records independently they founded their own record label, LAW Records, which produces and promotes other local artists to a wider audience.
- Tickets range from $28 – $58 dollars.
- The Waterfront at Aloha Tower is an oceanfront outdoor historical site and the best place to watch a live concert on Oahu.
- The show sounds like an amazing opportunity to listen to some world-class reggae and be surrounded by a bit of the old Hawaii charm.
- Well Aloha Joe it looks like the Warriors have done it again!
- Taking in their 3rd win in a row and 10th win overall the Warriors defeated UNLV 59-21!
- Fans are looking forward to the Sheraton bowl on Christmas Eve against Tulsa!
- GO WARRIORS!