BUZZ AROUND TOWN
“BIG CITY BLUES” AT THE DORIS DUKE THEATRE, HONOLULU MUSEUM OF ART
- Aloha Joe the Honolulu Museum of Art has some amazing exhibitions year round and this weekend’s event has everyone in Hawaii singing the blues… in a good way!
- On August 10, 2012 7:30pm – 9:15pm the Doris Duke Theatre presents Big City Blues!
- Singer-guitarist Chris Vandercook and his band, joined by J.P. Smoketrain, Kimberlei Bradford, Mark Prados, and the Powerhouse Horns, will take the stage in a special concert that will transcend their audience through the world of modern blues and trace its postwar history.
- Along the way, they’ll perform some of the most powerful music ever made in America, from artists like B.B. King, Bobby “Blue” Bland, Etta James, Muddy Waters, and Robert Johnson.
- The performance will be supplemented by multimedia material that has never been shown before, including a 1977 videotaped interview with B.B. King and video of a 1997 after-hours acoustic jam session between Chris Vandercook and multiple W.C. Handy award-winning blues artist Luther Allison (1939-1997).
- Ticket prices range from $30-$35 and includes entry to Two Museums and a Royal Palace, an event which includes food trucks, live music, art actitivies and film at the Honolulu Museum of Art between 5 – 10pm on Aug. 10.
- For more information on this and other amazing museum events contact Honolulu Museum of Arts at 808-532-8700.
- WOW the Honolulu Museum of Art sounds like an amazing organization that hosts fantastic events! Hurry and book your tickets to Hawaii today so you can visit the museum!
4TH ANNUAL “UP IN SMOKE COOK-OFF” & “NOBODY CARES” CAR SHOW
- Aloha Joe do you love classic cars? How about classic cars and good home made cooking? Well if you do then do I have the event for you!
- August 18, 2012 9:00am – 4:00pm at the Aloha Stadium Salt Lake Blvd Parking Lot the 4th Annual Up In Smoke Cook-off & Nobody Cares Car Show will take place!
- As the only Smoked Meat Competition in Hawaii, this fun family event attracts contestants from Oahu and the outer islands, and showcases many homegrown “chefs” with their secret recipes!
- The public is invited to sample and vote on their favorites for the “People’s Choice Award”. A Panel of chefs from Hawaii judge the delicious entries with a Grand prize of an all expense Vacations Hawaii Las Vegas Getaway!
- The “Nobody Cares” car show attracts over 100 classic cars, street rods, dragsters, motorcycles and hunter trucks. Vote for your favorites to win cash and prizes.
- A fun-filled family event with good food, fun, kiddie zone and music “Hawaiian Style”!
- Open to the Public with a $5.00 entry fee. Children 10 & under free.
- Sounds delicious and tons of fun! Hawaii is definitely one of the most unique family vacations you will ever take in your lifetime!
HAWAII MODULAR SPACE NA WAHINE O KE KAI, MOLOKAI TO OAHU CANOE RACE
- Aloha Joe, right now in Hawaii we are seeing a lot of our beautiful wahine getting ready for one of the most challenging and beautiful races of all time!
- We are almost one month away from the finale of outrigger canoe racing for women around the world, the annual Na Wahine O Ke Kai, Molokai to Oahu Challenge!
- This race ends the 9-month season of outrigger racing and this year Na Wahine O Ke Kai is celebrating their 30th anniversary
- Contestants start off at Hale O Lono Harbor on the southwestern shores of Molokai to begin their long and treacherous journey in this 40-mile race to Oahu. WOW!
- The race begins sunrise at 7:00 am on Sunday morning and finishes right in front of the shores of the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
- The event is organized by Na Wahine Race Association. Visit http://holoholo.org/wahine/ to find out more!
- What an amazing event for women!
FOOD, DINNING, RESTAURANTS ETC.
SAM CHOY COMPETES ON FOOD NETWORK
- Aloha Joe I’m sure you know of the world famous Hawaiian chef Sam Choy. Well in the next couple of weeks we in Hawaii are all hoping that he will win big!
- Hawaii chef and restaurant owner Sam Choy, a finalist in Food Network’s “Chopped: Grill Masters,” will compete Aug. 19 against the winners of three other preliminary grill competitions. The winner will take home $50,000!
- In an episode that aired July 29, Choy whipped up creative dishes from baskets of surprise ingredients.
- For the appetizer round, he delivered grilled prawns with a tomatillo vinaigrette. After one chef was eliminated, he stayed in the game with an entree of island boar grilled with a spoon fruit glaze. His dessert of cheese cannelloni stuffed with goat cheese helped nudge him to victory.
- Choy will join chefs Ray Lampe and Ernest Servantes in the final round of the five-part series that started with 16 chefs. “Chopped: Grill Masters” airs at 6 p.m. Sundays on Food Network!
- GO SAM! If you are ever in Hawaii be sure to stop in at the Sam Choy’s restaurant on North Nimitz Highway in Honolulu. You won’t regret it!
3RD ANNUAL HAWAII RICE FESTIVAL
- Aloha Joe as you know rice is the number one staple in Hawaii. In fact we love it so much we decided to throw a part in its honor.
- On September 29, 2012 10:00am – 5:00pm at the Victoria Ward Centers in Honolulu the 3rd Annual Hawaii Rice Festival will take place!
- A full day of activities is planned including cookoffs, contests, demonstrations, and of course, lots of yummy rice dishes to eat from a variety of local chefs!
- Guests are invited to offer rice donations for Lanakila Pacific’s “Meals on Wheels” program, which feeds needy seniors.
- Everyone is invited to bring the family down and get their chopsticks and appetites ready for a one-day taste trip around the world! YUM!
- Who knew rice could be so much fun! Book your ticket to paradise today and get in on all the fun!
DIAMOND HEAD BEACH HOTEL TRIP ADVISOR AWARD
- Aloha Joe your favorite hotel has been awarded!
- TripAdvisor is proud to congratulate Diamond Head Beach Hotel on earning the prestigious 2012 Certificate of Excellence award.
- Trip Advisor travelers consistently commend our property with the highest praise!
- Only the very best in the business are awarded a Certificate of Excellence from trip Advisor! And at Diamond Head Beach Hotel we offer nothing but the very best for our guests!